CHICO - Chico police say they've arrested a thief and the bike he went after was worth nearly $3,000.
Two bikes were stolen on February 2 from “A-Main Cycling” on East 20th Street.
On February 4, 31-year-old Michael Borden was spotted by police with one of the bikes matching the description of the one stolen.
The day before, Borden tried registering the bike's serial number under his name.
Police tried arresting him on Friday, but he was able to get away.
That was until they arrested him on Sunday near 20th Street Park.
Sergeant Dane Gregory said it's a good reminder to take steps to protect your bike should it get stolen.
"For your records, it's probably a good idea to keep a bill of sale, document your serial number as it appears on your bicycle, maybe have some photographs of your bike some relatively current photographs as well,” Gregory said.
Borden was arrested for possession of stolen property and fraud for trying to register the bike in his name.
He’s been booked into Butte County Jail.
Chico police say they haven't found that other missing bike.
- $3,000 bike theft, man arrested after running from Chico police
- Armed bike robber flees from Chico police
- 6 arrested after Chico theft enforcement operation
- Chico Police: Car thefts, break-ins down
- Chico Police search for suspect in stabbing on bike path
- Downtown Chico Bike Lane Trial Wrapping Up
- 3 Arrested for Alleged Mail Theft in southeast Chico
- Chico homeless man killed in Hit & Run
- Chico Police partner with area agencies for theft enforcement
- Car theft caught on camera in Chico