Chico Calif.-- UPDATE: 11:58 a.m.
According to a statement from Chico State President Gayle Hutchinson, the incident that happened this morning on campus appears to be a suicide.
The investigation is still ongoing and a cause of death has not been determined.
Hutchinson also encourages students to return to class if you can, but faculty has been advised to express leniency in their attendance policies.
Crisis counselling services are available to students, faculty, and staff at the Bell Memorial Union Auditorium until 5 p.m. tonight.
Additionally, students can also access free urgent walk-in services at the Counseling and Wellness Center located in Student Services Center Room 430. The Counseling Center is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Chico Calif.-- According to sources from Chico State, one person is dead after falling from Butte Hall on the Chico State campus.
According to a post by Chico State on Facebook, classes at Butte Hall have been cancelled until further notice, and Plumas Hall will open at noon.
Butte County Sheriff’s Deputies and Chico Police are on scene.
Counseling is available for students at student services in the Bell Memorial Union.
This is a developing story. We will update you as more information comes into our newsroom.
Photo courtesy from Natalie Hanson at the Chico State Orion Newspaper.
- One Dead on Chico State Campus After Falling From Butte Hall
- Police investigate shooting near Chico State campus
- Fall brings more ticks to Butte County
- Missing Chico woman found dead
- String of armed robberies on Chico State campus has police on high alert
- Chico Fire investigating "suspicious" fire at south campus area business
- Shooting, robbery and a stabbing in Chico's South campus area
- Butte Co. & Chico PD partner to address mental health & policing
- Chico Rampage Suspect Has Long Criminal History in Butte County
- BloodSource Drive at Chico State