COLUSA COUNTY, Calif.—A boy in Colusa County is recovering after being trampled by a horse at a parade.
Police say that the rider of the horse Armando Mertinez Ruiz was drunk at the time and is now facing DUI charges.
Each year the parade down 10th Street in Colusa kicks off the County Fair.
Beth Lohman a Colusa resident said, “It's actually one of the best parades we've had in years. The spectacle sets the mood for the fun and festivities ahead. The main attraction towards the end of the parade is mariachi music.”
Dozens of horses dancing in the street.
The spooked horse trampled an 8 year old boy in the crowd, breaking his leg.
After crashing through the crowd, the horse cut back across the parade route and through this park.
Several people on horseback tried to corral it as it ran away.
Witnesses say the horse was finally caught well off the route.
Beth Lohman a Colusa resident said “Made sure my grandmother was safe and out of the way because I knew if the horse got loose it would run.”
Police say the rider, Armando Martinez Ruiz was drunk at the time.
He's charged with DUI.
While Lohman says its unfortunate someone was hurt.
Beth Lohman a Colusa resident said, “They're animals and they're going to react, so you as a bystander always need to be ready.”
Ruiz has bonded out of jail. As for the boy a family friend sent a message saying the boy had surgery and is doing fine.
That was Drew Bollea reporting.
The Colusa Police Department says that in California, the law is the same, whether you're riding a horse or driving a car.
Stay with Action News Now for all of your local coverage. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Boy Trampled by Horse at Colusa County Parade
- Two arrested for shooting near Colusa Casino
- Domestic violence shelter to be created in Colusa County
- Update: Orangevale Woman Dies in Colusa County Head-on Crash
- Horses Healing Humans
- Colusa Co. murder suspect, victims were all roommates, authorities say
- Colusa man pleads guilty to killing migratory birds
- Willows Man Dies After Car Overturns on Glenn-Colusa Canal
- Search for murder suspect in Colusa County, missing woman's body found
- Body Found on McDermott Road in Colusa County After Overnight Search by CHP