REDDING, Calif. - A suspected burglar who appeared to look like “Santa Claus” was arrested on Saturday after a witness reportedly saw him breaking into the Smart Stop Market in Redding.
According to the Redding Police Department (RPD), officers got a call about a burglary behind a business about 11 p.m. on Westside Road.
A witness said he went to investigate outside after seeing items lying around his vehicle, once he went outside he heard a loud noise on the roof of a nearby store and a man carrying a large bag over his shoulder.
The witness told authorities that he looked like “Santa Claus” and that he chased the suspect after he got down from the roof and recovered the large bag, which had cartons of cigarettes.
Arriving officers located the suspect identified as John Trittle, 33, of Redding, a few blocks away sweating profusely and covered in drywall dust, according to RPD.
Redding authorities were able to gain access to the roof of Smart Stop Market and found a hole in the roof as well as a box of lighters and more cartons of cigarettes that were next to the hole.
The owner of the business arrived at the scene and identified the items in the bag that were allegedly stolen by Trittle as items from the business, worth about $4,000.
The witness came forward and positively identified Trittle as the burglary suspect, and authorities found evidence linking Trittle as the suspect.
Trittle was booked into the Shasta County Jail for burglary, probation violation and several outstanding warrants.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Alleged ‘Santa Claus’ burglar found on top of Redding market
- Scuba-diving Santa Claus delights children in San Francisco
- Redding Operation Blue Santa
- Santa Barbara County marijuana farm burglarized
- Alleged ATM Burglars Caught in Redding, 1 Suspect Outstanding
- Redding woman confronts burglar inside home
- Redding Police Shoot Alleged Burglar, Who Was Then Taken to Local Hospital
- Alleged Lakehead Market Robber Arrested: SCSO
- Missing Redding Man Found Dead
- Pet photos with Santa