UPDATE 5 p.m. - The Chico Police Department says the standoff situation in Arbutus Avenue is over as of 5:20 p.m. Wednesday.
UPDATE 4 p.m. - Just before noon on Wednesday police were dispatched to the 1600 block of Arbutus Ave. for a man who was threatening his ex-wife.
That man is being identified as 41-year-old David Arko.
The woman escaped the home, but Arko has barricaded himself inside.
Police said he faces being charged with breaking and entering, violating a restraining order, criminal threats, and domestic battery.
Chico police say they've exhausted all options in trying to get the man to leave the home, but he threatened police and refused to leave so they've initiated a hostage negotiation team.
Police won't say whether or not the man has weapons.
Neighbors were not evacuated but they did receive a reverse 9-1-1 call letting them know about the situation and to shelter in place.
Police said if citizens live in Arbutus Avenue and are trying to get home, just speak with them at the entrance of the street.
Police don't know how much longer the standoff will take place.
UPDATE 3:30 p.m. -The inter-agency bomb squad is at the scene, Arbutus Avenue is closed between East Fifth and Seventh Avenues in Chico.
CHICO, Calif - The Chico Police Department is responding to a barricaded suspect near the area of Arbutus and Fifth Avenues in Chico.
Roads nearby are being closed as of 3 p.m. Wednesday, we have sent a reporter and will update this article as soon as we get more information.
No word if schools are on lockdown.
- Standoff situation ends in Chico Avenues neighborhood
- Chico Police host Neighborhood Watch meeting
- Chico Police Arrest Wanted Felon after Standoff
- Avenue Q Spring Musical at CSU, Chico Next Week
- Gang members found guilty of shooting up Chico neighborhood
- Oak Way resident says speeders endanger Chico neighborhood
- Chico Police Respond to Neighborhood with Guns Drawn
- Chico Neighborhood Groups Unite to Clean Out Illegal Campsites
- Fatal hit and run in Chico closes down part of East Avenue
- New apartments draw traffic and safety concerns for Chico's Nord Avenue