BURNEY, Calif. - Two men, one driving an ATV and another on a motorcycle, have been arrested after leading sheriff’s deputies on a high-speed chase in the Burney area Saturday afternoon, said Shasta County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO).
According to SCSO, deputies were driving on northbound Highway 89 around 1:30 p.m. when they noticed an off-road motorcycle and an ATV traveling in the opposite lane, just south of Castle Road.
The deputies then turned around and attempted to perform a traffic stop due to the excessive speeds the vehicles were going, but instead both sped off.
The motorcycle driven by Maurice Alessandro, 28, turned eastbound on a driveway near Mt. Pleasant Drive.
While the ATV driven by Troy Marks, 30, continued southbound on Highway 89 into a driveway of 19420 Highway 89, nearly hitting the resident, who had to jump over a fence to avoid getting struck.
Eventually, Marks approached a dead end then turned back around and nearly hit the deputies’ patrol cars, said SCSO.
The ATV chase continued until Marks turned eastbound onto a dirt road, where he fled on foot.
K-9 “Blitz” was able to find Marks and take him into custody without incident.
A short time later the California Highway Patrol found Alessandro at 19573 Highway 89 along with his motorcycle.
Marks was charged with felony evading arrest, possession of drug paraphernalia, felony probation violation and multiple vehicle code violations.
Alessandro was charged for felony evading arrest, driving on a suspended driver’s license, possession of drug paraphernalia and multiple other vehicle code violations.
Both men were booked into the Shasta County Jail.
- Deputy Cars Nearly Hit While Chasing Suspects in Burney: SCSO
- SCSO: Suspect on the Loose After High Speed Chase
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office Finds Body in Burney Falls
- UPDATE: SCSO female suspect in Anderson shooting found
- Alleged Lakehead Market Robber Arrested: SCSO
- Vehicle Burglary Suspects Flee Police in High-Speed Car Chase
- Man shot by arrow in Redding identified: SCSO searching for suspect
- SCSO continues to detonate explosives, school closure on Monday
- Woman caught burglarizing, possessing explosives, accomplice at large: SCSO