ANDERSON, Calif.-- Crews continue work to repair a gas line break that forced the evacuation of a nearby preschool in Anderson Thursday afternoon.
It happened at around 2PM between South and Howard Streets near Shasta Head Start in Anderson.
Children and staff at the preschool were evacuated to the nearby veterans hall for safety.
PG&E spokesperson Paul Moreno said a backhoe operator working for a contractor to install a sewer line broke a 2-inch steel gas main that caused the leak and prompted the evacuation.
Roads were reopened just before 4PM and everyone was allowed to return to their home or business.
But it will still be awhile before crews fully repair the damage.
“With a gas leak, we dig down a safe distance away from the break and squeeze off the gas line to stop the flow of gas,” Moreno said. “Then we'll make repairs to that broken pipe and then restore gas service and relight pilot lights for the four customers who were affected by the loss of gas.”
Crews are currently working to replace the piece of pipe that was ruptured.
Moreno estimates service will be fully restored to those four customers who lost service later in the evening.
Moreno added that the gas lines were marked and that crews should dig by shovel when working that close to a main.
Stay with Action News Now for Coverage you can Count on. SIGN UP: Get our daily newsletter
- Gas Leak Prompts Evacuation of Preschool in Anderson
- Gas leak in San Diego prompts evacuation of 1,100 homes
- 10-Acre Fire Burning in Concow, Prompts Evacuations
- Kilauea Volcano Leaking Lava, Evacuations Ordered
- Car crash into San Diego County home causes gas leak
- Chico preschool and Chico elementary school to undergo reconstruction
- Klamathon Fire Forces Evacuations
- 'Pretty Little Liars' threats prompt school closure
- Impressive K-9 from Anderson Police
- Heavy rain is prompting a Flood Watch across Northern California