YUBA CITY, Calif - The California Highway Patrol responded on Saturday to a five-vehicle collision.
During the crash, two cars crashed head-on, ultimately killing two individuals, said the CHP.
According to CHP, the incident happened just after 10 a.m. Saturday at State Route 20 on Sutter Causeway.
Officials said a 2004 Ford was driving a significant distance behind a GMC Sierra, westbound on State Route 20 on Sutter Causeway.
The Ford was traveling at a higher rate of speed than the GMC and for unknown reasons, the Ford failed to slow down and collided with the back of the GMC, said CHP.
The force of the impact made the GMC swerve into the opposing lane of the highway, hitting a 1998 Chevy S10, which was going eastbound at the time of the crash.
Both the occupants from inside the Chevy died on the scene, while the driver of the Ford known as Jacob Correia, 18, from Meridian, was transported to Rideout Hospital with unknown injuries.
At the same time, a 2010 Toyota Corolla driven by John Moell, 19, of Redding was driving eastbound on State Route 20 behind the Chevy but was unable to stop on time and collided with the rear of the Chevy, according to CHP.
The impact of the GMC and Ford pushed the Ford forward into the rear of a farm tractor, which was going westbound ahead of the GMC, said the CHP.
Numerous agencies aided CHP at the scene including:
• Sutter Fire Department
• Meridian Fire Department
• Sutter Sheriff’s Department
• California Department of Transportation
Both the victims that died Saturday were residents of Colusa, but their identities have not been released at this time, according to CHP.
The occupants of the Ford and Chevy sustained injuries while the others came away unharmed.
CHP officials do not suspect impaired driving or if drugs or alcohol were factors in this collision.
- Head-on crash results in 2 deaths near Yuba City, 5 vehicles involved
- Yuba County Election Results
- Bicyclist Killed in Yuba City Crash
- Two People Die in Yuba County Crash
- Yuba City facilities holiday closure schedule
- Yuba City Police targets neighborhood speeders
- Yuba City Christmas Stroll road closures
- Yuba City 5th Street Bridge closure
- Yuba City road closures for 5K
- Yuba City commercial structure fire threatens home