Chico, Calif.-- A Chico man is in custody Wednesday night after he barricaded himself inside a home for hours, this after he left a medical facility and threatened to kill his ex-wife.
The standoff lasted about six hours and happened right in the middle of the day and many neighbors were surprised to learn what was going on.
Linyi Maslin has lived in the neighborhood for 24 years and said this is the first time a stand-off like this has happened.
"I wanted to come home and I just kind of concerned about the neighbor and the safety," she said.
Police say that just before noon, 41-year-old David Arkos left a medical facility and broke into his ex-wife's home on Arbutus Avenue and threatened to kill her.
When police arrived, the ex-wife left the home and was moved to a safe location, while officers tried to get Arkos to peacefully surrender.
Because of his medical history, assistance from the Butte County Behavioral Health Department Mobile Crisis team was requested.
For hours he barricaded himself inside and police had to shut down the street between Fifth and Seventh Avenue.
"This is a pretty tight neighborhod, neighborhood watch and we have the web letting one another know what was going on type thing. Nobody have any real information about what's going on except that police been here and cornered off," Maslin said.
A reverse 911 call was made to neighbors informing them of the situation and telling them to shelter in place, but Maslin said she learned more about the situation through the Nextdoor app after one of her neighbors posted about it.
"While it was happening, the police drew a gun so he backed off and he didn't want to be involved at that point," she said.
Police were eventually able to obtain a search warrant for the home and a warrant for his arrest, and SWAT personnel were able to enter the home and arrest him without further incident.
"I hope the neighbor is fine and hope that whoever got in trouble get some help," Maslin said.
Arkos was taken to Butte County jail and booked on several charges including burglary, criminal threats, domestic violence and violation of a restraining order.
- Man arrested after hours long standoff
- Hour Long Delay at Hwy 70 east of Quincy
- Man Arrested After Beanbag Shotgun Standoff in Redding
- Chico Police Arrest Wanted Felon after Standoff
- Postal Service holiday hours
- Redding man arrested for holding girlfriend hostage in armed standoff with police
- Standoff situation ends in Chico Avenues neighborhood
- Chico Police records division announces new hours
- Buried Alive: Baby Survives Hours In Woods
- Redding DMV Will Be Open More Hours Starting in August; Yuba City Already Added Saturday Hours