SHASTA COUNTY, Calif - With the June 5th Primary next week the highly anticipated race for Shasta County Sheriff will finally be decided.
Back in February Action News Now told you about the new candidate has stepped up to challenge Sheriff Tom Bosenko for the first time in nearly a decade.
The race is between John Greene, a 27 year veteran of the sheriff's department who has recently retired and the sitting Sheriff, Tom Bosenko.
The Sheriff of Shasta County this election cycle is a contested position in the next election cycle for the first time in almost 10 years.
The two are confident that they both have the experience it will take to do the job.
The main difference between the two, however, is their thoughts on each others leadership and management styles as well as experience.
Sheriff Bosenko has been The Sheriff of Shasta County for 12 years now and says that it is a tough job but he has been and will always be up to the challenge.
John Greene, on the other hand, disagrees with the management style of the current sheriff and says that he will breath new life into the sheriff’s department.
Another main factor in this race is that John Greene has received the endorsement from the Shasta County Sheriff’s Association despite what many thought that they were going to remain neutral.
Greene also tells us that the vote in his favor was a large majority of the association.
Many issues face the office of sheriff, but one of the most important is jail bed space and as the office adds more patrol sergeants it’s a must for community safety.
While 60 new Jail beds were recently added both candidates agree that this is a temporary fix and that more will need to be added to fix the overall problem.
John Greene tells us that he will seek funding more Jail space as well as when that funding is received to make sure that the public has as much input as possible.
If you would like to weigh in on the election click below to our Facebook poll on the candidates.
- Race for Shasta County Sheriff Enters Final Week
- Shasta County weather watch
- Shasta County Election Results
- Shasta County Sheriff settles suit over jail conditions
- Shasta County Sheriff’s searching for Bella Vista burglary suspects
- Shasta County Sheriff warns Public about Phone Scam
- Sheriff Declares Local Emergency from Shasta County Fires
- Shasta County Sheriff's Office Finds Body in Burney Falls
- Carr Fire Forces Week-Long Closure of Shasta County Courts
- Vietnam Stories from Shasta County