REDDING, Calif. - Cal Fire Shasta County arrested a man accused of stealing bottles of water meant for the firefighters that have battled the more than 1,000-acre “Creek Fire,” west of Redding.
According to Cal Fire, they took Christopher John Smith, 40, of Redding into custody Tuesday after authorities viewed surveillance video that showed Smith stealing cases of water and leaving in a white Mazda, two days prior.
Firefighters noticed Smith’s car was parked in a parking lot near the fire, which is meant for day-use only and arrested him there at around 1 a.m.
Authorities searched the car and found a partial case of stolen bottled water, said Cal Fire.
Smith was booked into the Shasta County Jail and charged with possession of methamphetamine, possession of drug paraphernalia, petty theft and two misdemeanor warrants.
- Redding Man Accused of Stealing Water from Firefighters Battling 'Creek Fire'
- Shasta County Firefighters Battling "Creek Fire" West of Redding
- Redding Firefighter injured while battling Thomas Fire
- Redding firefighters respond to structure fire on Churn Creek Road
- Redding Firefighters Responding to First Alarm Fire
- Redding Firefighters Knock Down 2nd-Alarm Fire
- BLM: Avoid Areas Near ‘Creek Fire’ west of Redding
- Firefighters Battling 10 Acre Fire near Black Butte Lake
- Firefighter Dies While Battling Fire near Yosemite Park
- Second Dog Stealing Suspect Arrested in Redding