CALIFORNIA -- California voting experts predict a smaller turnout for the June 5th primary election. It's a troubling estimate, but there was also a historically low 2014 gubernatorial primary turnout.
California voting experts are predicting only one-third of registered voters will return mail-in ballots or show up in person to vote.
While the turnout seems low, on average, voter turnout for the gubernatorial primaries has stayed around 33 to 34%.
Some of the big items on the ballot for voters include the candidates for state governor and the district one seat in congress.
Locally, voters will also be choosing the sheriff in Shasta County, the district attorney in Tehama County and several other local officials.
Action News Now asked Political Science Professor Andy Potter at Chico State what he thought about the predicted lower voter turnout.
"This is not sort of a general election where you have one side, republicans on one side, democrats on the other side, and people are energized perhaps to support their side. This is a primary with a long list of names, some local offices where some people are unopposed and maybe some people don't feel as energized to vote," said Potter.
California has a top-two system, meaning voters can vote for any candidate they choose, regardless of party.
Candace Grubbs, the Butte County Registrar Of Voters, said she is expecting low voter turn out, so she wants to remind everyone it's important to head to the polls.
If you are mailing your ballot, it needs to be postmarked on or before June 5th.
If you are voting in person, the polling places close at 8 p.m. Click here help you find your nearest polling place.
FOLLOW LAURA ENG ON SOCIAL MEDIA:
- Smaller Voter Turnout Expected For June 2018 Primary Election
- California June 5th Primary Election Links
- June Primary Election 2018: What You Should Know
- California Primary Election Results
- Leading Butte County Candidates React to June Primary 2018 Results
- Preparations Underway for Primary Elections
- State Ballot Measure Results - California Primary Elections
- Butte & Glenn County Primary Election Results
- Dead Republican Candidate Wins Iowa Primary Election
- Official Butte County Primary Election Results