UPDATE: 10:15 a.m.
According to Chico Police officers they responded to a vehicle crash Tuesday December 5th around 2 a.m. on the 500 block of Pomona Avenue in Chico.
They found a passed out female behind the wheel of a Jeep towing an enclosed trailer.
The Jeep had collided with a locked metal gate. The gate was severely damaged and the Jeep sustained some minor damage.
The female was identified as 37 year old Jennifer Britt.
It was determined that the vehicle was stolen from an address on the 1600 block of Dayton Road.
BCSO deputies determined that a shop behind the residence on Dayton Road was on fire and several areas of the property had been ransacked.
It was determined through the investigation that Britt had entered the shop, lit some property on fire inside the shop and stole items including the Jeep, the trailer, and some medication.
She was arrested for two counts of vehicle theft, two counts of possession of stolen vehicles, possession of stolen property, and possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of prescription drugs without a prescription, burglary, and arson.
Britt is being held at the Butte County Jail with a bail of $82,000.
The vehicle and trailer was recovered and released back to the owner.
We're following developing news in Chico, Butte County Sheriff Deputies are investigating an early morning arson fire Tuesday.
Authorities believe it started with a theft at the family's home.
Chico Police first arrived on scene at the home on Dayton Road.
"That's what we orginally got called out for was that chico pd was here for a theft of a vehicle and also that the fire was related with that as well," said Dustin Topp, Fire Engineer Station 44.
At this hour we still do not know if a suspect is in custody or if investigators are still searching for the person responsible.
- UPDATE: Car theft investigation leads to arson at Chico home
- Chico Police: Car thefts, break-ins down
- Car theft caught on camera in Chico
- Chico Car Chase Leads to Foot Pursuit
- UPDATE: Redding Police Locate Possible Arson Suspect
- UPDATE: Chico man hits wife with car
- 6 arrested after Chico theft enforcement operation
- Married couple arrested after suspected car theft
- Officers Working to Stop Car Thefts
- Chico Police Investigating after Pedestrian Hit by Car