The reigning section champion Chico High volleyball program has a new head coach as they've promoted assistant Lain Hensley. As Action News Now's Ross Field tells us, he's been in the game for several years and when it comes to team-building there may not be anyone better.
It's time for a change at Chico. So they went big with their next hire, promoting what school officials call an overqualified assistant in Lain Hensley. He's one of their peeps.
"You know coaching high school is something I dreamt about my whole life. I was a high school tennis player, I played volleyball in college and I've been working a long time for this, to take on this roll. I've assisted some of the best that's Chico produced and I've learned from them and it's my turn to take the helm," said Hensley.
Hensley takes over for Tim Voth who resigned after leading Chico to its second section title in program history last season.
And Hensley brings a wealth of exprience to his new gig as he's also helped out with the highly successful local club program, Matrix.
"I've been working with some of these kids since they were in the 5th and 6th grade just out of my love of the game, so these kids are excited about volleyball, it's the fastest growing sport in the country and in the world," said Hensley.
Hensley is a Chico State grad and the co-CEO of Odyssey Teams, a business specializing in team-building exercises. Bigtime volleyball programs have used his stuff.
"I do leadership development and team-building programs for UC Irvine men's volleyball to Santa Clara women's soccer to corporate clients and all that stuff, so I can't wait to bring the things I've learned and have been teaching around the world around leadership, communication and teamwork in conjunction with volleyball and really the impact its going to have on these young people," said Hensley.
Chico graduates eight seniors from the championship team, but an influx of talent should keep them competitive.
"The secret weapon right now are the kids that were right behind those eight seniors that have been working hard, that are going to be ready to take their spots and even go to the next level," said Hensley.
- Chico High appoints Hensley to head volleyball coach
- Chico State volleyball hosts clinic
- Chico High volleyball player Regan Murray signs with Corban University
- Subway Scholar Athlete of the Week - Taylor Hensley
- Chico State volleyball team hosting youth clinic
- Chico High field hockey trio headed to Earlham College
- Chico Matrix volleyball club team hosts tryouts at Butte College
- Durham volleyball player Lindsey Bryant signs with Chico State
- Chico State volleyball team preparing for CCAA Tournament
- Chico Matrix Volleyball Club sending team to nationals